Thursday 22 February 2018

Who was the photographer, Walter S. Pitt?

In my last post I showed a photograph by W.S. Pitt from Smith’s The British Amphibians and Reptiles, first published in 1951. Pitt produced nearly all the photographs for that volume and his name looms large in books and magazines of that era. But who was Walter S. Pitt?

I have found virtually no information on him other than that Walter Pitt was a member of The Zoological Photographic Club. A Walter Pitt was also a member of the Bath Photographic Society in 1888. Was this the same Walter Pitt? A Walter Pitt also appeared in a magazine article on angel fish in the 1920s.

Was he a professional photographer or a keen amateur? I would really like to know.

QUESTION SOLVED - See my post of 19 July 2022 HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am President of Bath Photographic society and am currently trying to piece our history together ! I came across Walter Pitt and unfortunately do not think he is your chap. I have a copy of his obituary if you would like me to send it to you? Please e mail and I will do so! I was disappointed but don't see how our chap would have had the time to do what yours did!!! Best wishes

    ReplyDelete